Sunday, January 10, 2010

transitional phases


i was listening to NPR the other day and there was a spot about this physicist guy who studies the transitional phases of something fancy that i don't remember the details about.  but what stood out to me was the way this physicist was talking about how elements go through transitional phases--like ice to liquid water to steam--and how in the transition between states, something kind of mysterious happens.

and this made me think about how transitions and change are not always my favorite thing.  and about how i sometimes can be pretty hard on myself about not liking moments of transition.

somehow the idea that even water--an element that has no emotions, no psychology, no anything except material existence--has to go through an awkward, mysterious, not-completely-understood transitional phase as it moves between states made me feel better about whatever weirdness i experience as i move between states in my own life.

it's a sort of affirmation that the difficulty of transition is natural--not just me not knowing how to do it right.

2 comments:

ali said...

a good word, b.

ali said...

and a good picture too. all is calm, all is bright.