Tuesday, January 19, 2010

a lovely puritan benediction


I'm reading William Bradford's Of Plymouth Plantation for the early American literature class I'm teaching this term and he includes in it a letter the pastor the first Puritan colonists left behind in the Netherlands, John Robinson, wrote to his brother-in-law, John Carver (the colony's first governor).  Bradford says that in the letter, we see "the tender love and godly care of a true pastor."  And I think he's right. 

Robinson closes his letter to Carver with the following benediction:

"And the Lord in whom you trust and whom you serve ever in this business and journey, guide you with His hand, protect you with His wing, and show you and us His salvation in the end..."

I think that is so lovely.  And encouraging.  How great is it that I get to be encouraged like this while I'm preparing to teach my classes?  Pretty great.

2 comments:

caron said...

i WISH i could come to your class. i took early american lit and the scathing pre-suppositions that were brought to the table by our professor was unbelievable. the puritans were fools. we are far superior. there was not historical context offered, admiration for their devotion/focus/work ethic/etc. ugh. i recall the class with much regret and wish i could right all the filthy opinion that went into my during that semester.

good work, professor b.

Unknown said...

that is really neat, brooke! would love to take that class of yours.